Monday, January 20, 2014

Queen Elsa - Frozen Inspired



If you haven't seen Frozen yet, get your butt to the theater.  I think I enjoyed it better than the kids, but I'm a sucker for most Disney movies.  This dress fits a couple bills - makes my kids happy to have a Queen Elsa costume, and is also my sew along look to Project Run & Play's week 2 theme (movie inspired).


Confession.  This was supposed to be my week one winter wonderland look.  I was planning on making Anna Kendrick's outfit from the opening scene of Pitch Perfect (and it would've been perfect).  But this winter wonderland look was starting to look way too similar to Elsa's dress so I moved it to this week.

In case you haven't seen the movie, here's Elsa's dress:
Source
And here's my more wearable interpretation:


The dress is a modification of the Bimaa Sweater pattern.  I redrew the neckline and didn't add the cuffs to the sleeves.  I then cut the bodice into a V and added a gathered skirt with tulle overlay.  The bejeweled tulle just meets in the middle but doesn't connect, so that the beautiful stretch velvet fabric can be seen.


The top part of the dress is white stretch lace and metallic blue fabric.  The bodice is a slight sweetheart with silver piping.  I added a shiny brooch to complete the top.



Instead of attaching tulle at the underarms like the movie inspiration dress, I made her a cape with the jeweled tulle and some sparkle teal tulle.  It ties at the neck with a silver ribbon.  I preferred to make a cape so that she can take it off and wear the rest of the dress whenever she wants, not just when playing dress up at home.



The fun sparkly silver fringe at the waist reminded me of icicles.  Perfect for a little ice queen!


I had so much fun making this dress that I've worked up a few more practical Frozen inspired dresses that I will show this week.  I'll also share some Frozen inspired crafts.  Might as well declare it Frozen week over here!  In the meantime, make sure to check out the other movie inspired looks over here.

And a little sneak peek at tomorrow:


also linked at:

17 comments:

  1. Adorable! I haven't seen the movie yet but I really want to! Great job! I have found a few of my looks could pass for different weeks in the challenge too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bet she was so excited about this!!
    have been wanting to take my four year old but haven't done it yet.
    great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very excited about the dress. taking pictures outside in the snow, not so much :) thanks!

      Delete
  3. I love that giant floaty cape! So fun! And the dress is beautiful, too :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I love all that tulle for dramatic effect! but I'll probably have to trim it down a little bit...

      Delete
  4. I can't wait until my girl is old enough to sit through a whole movie haha. This one looks so good and all my friends with older kids have been in love with it. Your dress is so good! Really smart to make the cape a separate so it doesn't get caught on all the furniture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just saw this movie yesterday, and loved it! And I love your Elsa inspired dress! I never would have guessed it started with a Bimma. That's a good pattern for you, versatile and can be changed many other ways!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I love your fabric choices and love that it can be worn to anywhere. Your girl must have so much fun with that long cape! I cannot wait to see your Anna dress, it must make sense for you to make both dresses :) Do your girl argue who is going to wear which dress? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. oohh that turned out lovely! And I can't wait to see tomorrows dress... I also linked up this week... a {movie} star dress! ;o) Emily@nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! My little girl would love this!
    -liZ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely dress-up outfit! I haven't seen the movie yet but it is on my list. So many adults are telling me how much they liked the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She looks so happy with her pretty dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE these! Do you share patterns? I'm a beginner, very much a beginner so I can't come up with anything on my own, no creativity here.

    ReplyDelete