I've only made the girls one pair of W pants, but they have been the best fitting pants I've made for them. So of course I knew I had to make the shorts version of the pants this summer. The Shorts on the Line series has motivated me to make them before summer is over (I tend to procrastinate...).
The design of the back is really fun to construct. I just played with some fabrics until I got a look that the girls would like and I thought was interesting. The flat piping is made with some scrap floral linen, and the contrasting black and white fabric is the last bit of scrap from my original W pants. Main fabric is some green twill from JoAnn Fabrics.
A fun surprise for the girls was that I used some super hero girl fabric (by Anne Kelle) for the pocket lining. They are super hero obsessed!
This pattern is a little more boyish than girlie (it's unisex), but that's one thing I love about it. The girls always look really cute in boy tees and plaid shirts, so why not boy shorts. Just don't tell them it's not girlie!
The fly construction is so confusing yet simple at the same time. I just blindly follow the pattern and it works out perfectly, even after sewing way past my bedtime.
BTW, this kid didn't really want to take pictures today. I'll leave you with how she thinks the shorts look photographed best. Oy.