Friday, May 16, 2014

Sew-a-bration of Womanhood (Maritime Shorts and Scout Tee)


I'm honored to be a part of the Sew-a-bration of Womanhood sewing series by the Shaffer Sisters and Call Ajaire.  I follow many of the blogs by the ladies that are participating and am inspired by them daily.  I've even discovered several new blogs to add to the reading list!

For my post, I went in circles on what I would sew up.  One thing I knew for sure ~ it had to include floral.  I'm obsessed with floral prints and have been stockpiling them since winter.  I planned on some floral pants (how awesome but possibly bad would that be?); however, with summer quickly upon us, I realized I was severely lacking in shorts.  Yay!  A chance to try out a pattern I was eyeing - the Grainline Maritime Shorts.


I'm so happy with these shorts!  Anyone else have the most difficult time shopping for shorts?  I dread it - they're either too short in length, not right in the rear, or just boring.  When I find a pair that works I usually buy three.  


I measured a size 10 that surprisingly fit!  I was sure I'd need to grade out to a bigger size from the waist.  I have a lot of extra in my rear and legs which is part of why I have trouble finding the perfect pair.  I only made one change to the pattern after making a muslin - that was to change the pocket piece and pocket lining into one pattern piece.  I couldn't get the pocket to keep from bunching the way it was supposed to be sewn, so that solved the issue.  


Sorry for the rear shot, but you gotta see all the angles!  The floral print (cotton sateen from JoAnn Fabrics) is a little busy and kinda hides the interesting back pockets that I think are perfectly placed.  

The most difficult part of sewing these shorts was not the functioning fly as I expected.  That was cake compared to sewing the simple waistband on.  It takes forever to wrap my head around which sides of the pattern pieces should face up and where the right and left goes.  Every time I sew one.  Practice should make perfect though, right?  I plan on making a few more in some neon twill.

And when thinking of what to pair with the floral shorts, I immediately remembered all the stripe and floral looks I've been seeing lately.  But I'm more of a polka dot person so I went with that and made a Grainline Scout Tee.  


I wish I had tried this pattern sooner!!!  I have a large collection of woven fabrics that I'd love to turn into tops, but I can never decide on a pattern to use.  This top was super simple to sew.  And sometimes you just need to sew something that's not gonna give you too much trouble.  (Seriously, any beginners out there should give it a go.)



I hope I've inspired you to go sew something for yourself!  It can be easier than you think if you pick the right pattern (as in something without a lot of large fabric pieces to wrangle), and so satisfying for the soul.  Check out the other awesome women participating in the series below.

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE these shorts! Totally agree with you on short shopping, too. Although old navy had some cute ones last season - I got a pair with flamingos :) I'm always impressed by how you can sew ANYTHING - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I remember old navy's shorts last year! I probably would have gotten them if the store was as close as it is now :) Thanks so much Nikki!

      Delete
  2. Love this outfit! Those shorts are perfect! I'd love for you to link this up with this week's Tuesday Sews Giveaway at PiePie Designs: http://www.piepiedesigns.com/2014/05/tuesday-sews-giveaway-may-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shorts, the fabric, the cut, the fit, absolutely perfect! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are gorgeous, I absolutely love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great. You did an awesome job. Thank you for participating, we love and adore you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renee, this outfit is perfect! I love, love the shorts and I have the exact same problem when shopping. Must check out this pattern! And the polka dot top is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need to make more of these tops - I'm finding I wear it a little too often :)

      Delete
  7. Great outfit! I love that combo of fabrics. I would love for you to share at my linky party at http://handmadedresshaven.blogspot.com/2014/05/sew4me-tuesdays.html

    ReplyDelete