Thursday, January 22, 2015

Bubble Tunic


Project Run & Play is back again and with a new format!  For the next year, they're doing a monthly sew-along instead of the quick four week seasons.  The best part is that their themes are going to be based on free sewing patterns.  You can sew up the pattern as is, or change it to your style.  

This month's pattern is Alida Make's Bubble Dress Tutorial.  I wasn't sure if I had time to participate this month, but I got it together just in time.  My idea was to sew up a tunic using the bubble dress tutorial and mashing it with another free tutorial - the Pear Picking Tunic.  The ruffled top of the bubble dress reminded me of the neckline of the pear picking tunic.


To make my tunic, I followed the directions of the bubble dress tutorial to get the bottom hem.  The lining fabric is knit (same as the leggings shown - they were made during KCW).  I could have just cut the knit shorter in width and stretched it while sewing it to the plaid to get the bubble effect, but I decided to stick with using the shirring method.  


The waist is also shirred - you can kinda see it in the pic above where the ribbon belt fell down a bit.  The belt is a very fun and quick accessory to make btw.  It's just some ribbon with a felt flower.  The flower is a bunch of felt circles pinched and then hot glued together.

I also shirred the neckline at first, but couldn't get it to shrink up enough.  So I cut a 17" piece of 1/4" elastic and stretched it as I sewed a small zig-zag stitch around - this made the neckline cinch up to a more modest neckline width.  


It was a bit cold outside while taking pictures, but this girl still was having a little too much fun striking poses she thought were cute.  Ha, and all I needed her to do was stand still for 2 seconds.  


Hopefully I can keep participating in Project Run & Play - once a month isn't too difficult!  I'm also trying to sew only from fabric I have on hand.  Lets save some money this year :)  I feel like I'm on a fabric diet.  It's going to be tough, but so far I've managed!

9 comments:

  1. She is so cute! I love those leggings with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the plaid and the tunic length. And she does look like she's having fun. It's always fun doing the opposite of what mom wants, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the double bubble effect! Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that neckline, thank you for exposing me to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute idea, I love the neckline and the shirred waist :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I love your daring fabric choices. Two fabrics that I would totally pair together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! And check out those modeling poses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww! She's very cute and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete