While participating in Skirt Week 2013, I came up with several ideas I wanted to try out. One was this Picnic Skirt with watermelon pockets! The girls are always asking for skirts with pockets, so of course this is a hit with them.
The fabric is Riley Blake Red Gingham and the watermelon is made up of a red and green cotton from Jo-Ann's. I used white piping for the rind. The seeds are a bunch of french knots. This was my first time making french knots, so I went a little overboard.
I didn't use a pattern making this skirt so there is room for improvement. The skirt is about 13 inches long and I used a selvage to selvage width. I made some half circle patterns for the watermelon and added seam allowances for sandwiching the piping. I then added the seeds and sewed the pockets onto the skirt after it was gathered. The pockets are a little wide, but still really cute. (and so is the kid in it!)
Also linked at: